Wiring Your Dollhouse

Round Wire - a direct wiring system where each fixture is wired back to a controller or lighting strip. Plug in lights are possible, and faults are easily found. Wires should be hidden under moldings or flooring, or in wall/floor channels. Each lamp wire will emerge from the bottom or back of the house, wherever the wiring board is located. Wiring boards can be set up for switchable systems to operate or dim lights individual, or a remote control system can be set up. Inexpensive white plastic wiring boards should be avoided except for test purposes.
    Tape Wire - uses very thin copper tape with adhesive backing to carry the electricity around the house in a ring. The tape can be double and plastic coated, or single and uncoated (must be coated with shellac or varnish to protect it from corroding in contact with wallpaper pastes or paints). Individual lights connect to the wiring ring. Reliable joins between tapes can be a problem. Plastic or mylar coatings can interfere with connections. All lights on a ring will function as one circuit and finding faults is more complicated than with round wire systems. Remote control of individual lights is not possible.
    Hybrid Systems - use tape wire circuits inside the dollhouse connected to channels on an exterior power distribution unit . Each set of tapes is connected to round wire, which brings in power from the power supply on the back of the house. Remote or switched controls are possible, and a number of lighting effects (dimming, flickering) are easily achieved by wiring in special units.

 After determining what type of wiring you will use, you then need to determine which transformer is appropriate to power you electrical accessories in your dollhouse. The following chart may be useful for that consideration:

    For a miniature room or 2-3 room dollhouse (6-10 bulbs), use CK-1009B.
    For a medium dollhouse of 4-6 rooms (20-23 bulbs), use CK-1009A.
    For a large dollhouse of 7-13 rooms (40-46 bulbs), use CK-1009C.
    For an extra-large dollhouse of more than 13 rooms (up to 70 bulbs), use CK-1009D.
    It is very important to keep in mind that you should count the bulbs and NOT the fixtures, when determining the size of the transformer that is appropriate.

Click here to view the entire Cir-Kit line of dollhouse electrical products and specs. (Electrical-Wiring-2013.pdf)

  Resources & DIY


Check Google Safe Browsing report

A+ SSL Rating

  Contact Mary's Miniatures

  Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 5PM EST

  No public showroom available.

Copyright © 2009-2023 Mary's Miniatures - Built by PRO-Webs, Inc.

Notice: Unauthorized attempts to access, upload information, or deface this web site is strictly prohibited and are subject to prosecution under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and Title 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 and 1030.